Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger



The Strange Case of Origami Yoda is one of my favorite books of 2010. When the school weirdo, Dwight, comes to school brandishing a Yoda finger puppet his classmates scoff. However, when Yoda begins dispensing strangely accurate advice to his classmates, they begin to wonder if it is real. In a quest for the truth one student, Tommy, decides to investigate. Tommy compiles the stories of all the kids who have sought out the advice of Origami Yoda in order to prove once and for all whether or not Dwight and his "green wad of paper" are for real. While this story will be a crowd pleaser at its surface, the social complexities of being a middle-schooler are portrayed authentically. Suggested for grades 5 - 8. Of course, after reading this I wanted my own Origami Yoda. Who wouldn't? There are directions in the back of the book, but being the uncoordinated dweeb that I am, I needed more detailed instruction. I was delighted to find a youtube video (below) of Tom Angleberger walking through the process step by step. Send me photos of your Origami Yoda and maybe I'll post them here! May the force be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment