Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Monday! Here's What I'm Reading.

Hooray for Monday!  Here's what I'm up to today:

 Titanic: Voices from the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson
 
A disaster which has fascinated us for 100 years continues to do so. In fact, I set my alarm to wake myself up extra early this morning so that I could finish it! While we tend to think of this as well-known event, younger readers may not have had much exposure. This book geared for readers 8 - 13 years old was particularly well done.  Hopkinson uses eye-witness accounts, photographs, maps, letters, telegraph transmissions and quotes from survivors to tell the tale from the point-of-view of the passengers making this a particularly gripping account.

I lamented to a co-worker that whenever I read stories about real-life disasters, I'm always on the edge of my seat hoping that *this time* it will end differently.  This has never been more true than when I read this genuinely affecting version of the tale. 



I got the pleasure of running my Library's Toddler Time this morning and shared a few of my favorites for a Monday morning. 



My fast approaching lunch break means I get to start Fenway Fever by John H. Ritter (in honor of my annual Birthday trip to Fenway next weekend).  I'll let you know what I think...of the book and my trip to Fenway  ;)


Now tell me, what are YOU reading? 



No comments:

Post a Comment