Monday, July 8, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Traveling to ALA (and enjoying more of Chicago than humanly possible in 4 days) didn't leave too much time for reading.  So forgive my sparse contribution this week!


I will admit I was skeptical about this one (no offense Jeff Probst).  Happily, my skepticism was completely unfounded.  This is a fantastic summer read for middle grade readers! 
4 kids in a newly formed blended family set off on a sailing adventure while their parents honeymoon. The trip was originally designed to help the kids get to know each other and bond as a family.  It accomplishes its mission, but not in the way it was expected.  The kids end up stranded (surprise!) on an island in the south pacific.  No adults, no guidance just the kids and their limited supplies. Kids will LOVE this fast and tense read! I also suggest you have the second in the series on-hand because once this one is finished, they won't want to wait. 

There is much buzz about Blue Balliett's latest and I promise you, the rumors are true.  I loved everything about this one.  Another fabulous middle grade read! 

While fantasy is not my favorite genre, I really enjoyed this one (even if it was a little on the long side at 464 pages).  While not perfect, readers will be invested enough in Jemma's fate to overlook imperfections in the plot.  Some darker moments were edge-of-your-seat exciting and a wee bit scary.
I look forward to seeing more from Kit Grindstaff!
Suggested for hardcore fantasy fans grades 6 and up. 


Check out the book trailer here.

Until next time, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment